- Determine the desired look. Different cushion upholstery fabrics can create a variety of looks. Consider the look you want to achieve and the existing color scheme in the room before selecting a fabric.
- Consider durability. Durability is an important factor to consider when selecting cushion upholstery fabric. Consider the amount of use the cushion will get and select a fabric that is designed to withstand wear and tear.
- Consider the care instructions. If the cushion upholstery fabric is difficult to clean or requires special care, choose a different fabric.
- Look for stain-resistant fabrics. Many cushion upholstery fabrics are treated with a stain-resistant finish. This will help to protect the fabric from spills and stains.
- Consider the fabric weight. The weight of the cushion upholstery fabric will affect the look and feel of the cushion. Heavier fabrics are ideal for higher-traffic areas, while lighter fabrics can be used in areas that don’t receive a lot of wear.
Tips for Maintaining and Caring for Cushion Upholstery
- Vacuum regularly: Regular vacuuming helps keep cushion upholstery looking and feeling fresh. Use a handheld vacuum cleaner, or an attachment to your regular vacuum cleaner to gently remove dirt, dust, and pet hair.
- Spot clean: If you spill something on your cushion upholstery, spot clean it right away using a mild detergent or a cleaning product specifically designed for upholstery.
- Protect from the sun: If your cushion upholstery is in an area that receives direct sunlight, you may want to invest in some sun-blocking window coverings or curtains. This will help protect the fabric from fading and discoloration.
- Use a fabric protector: A fabric protector can help keep your cushion upholstery looking like new. It helps repel dirt and liquids and can help prevent stains.
- Plump and rotate cushions: To keep your cushions looking their best, plump and rotate them regularly. This will help them keep their shape and prevent them from sagging.
- Professional cleaning: If your cushion upholstery is looking a little worse for wear, you may want to consider getting it professionally cleaned. This will help restore the fabric and help make it look new again.
Steps for Creating Cushion Covers
- Measure the Cushion: Measure the cushion you would like to cover and make a note of the measurements.
- Select the Fabric: Choose a fabric that fits the size of your cushion and that you like the look of.
- Cut the Fabric: Cut two rectangles of fabric that are the same size as your cushion plus 1 inch for the seam allowance.
- Sew the Seams: Pin the two rectangles together and sew along the edges, leaving a gap of about 10 inches for turning the cover right-side-out.
- Turn the Cover: Turn the cover right-side out through the gap and press the seams.
- Insert the Cushion: Insert the cushion into the cover and hand-stitch the gap closed.
- Add Decorative Touches: You may choose to add decorative touches such as tassels, pom-poms, or embroidery to your cushion cover.