The following guide is intended to show step by step graphically all the points to follow in installing a SPLIT type domestic air conditioner. If the installation is not complex, it requires some knowledge or skill in various trades and also finding the best contractor: Plumbing, electricity, masonry, some refrigeration, and some manual skill in the use of tools, as well as four specific tools of the cold sector and a series of commonly used tools.
The information in this guide will allow you to assess whether you can start the installation yourself and whether you can afford or are worth purchasing the tools and tubing. Starting to install a single computer, I can tell you that it does not pay off.
Things To Consider Before Installing An Air Conditioner
- Define the number of spaces to be air-conditioned to calculate the power and the number of units needed.
- Calculate the power required in each installation. The more surface we want to air condition, the more power we will need.
- Choose the most suitable installation location for the indoor units. It is imperative to establish an optimal location that guarantees the best comfort, air diffusion, and equipment maintenance.
- Check the solidity selected for the indoor units, and it must be able to support the unit’s weight without exposing the structure to any risk.
- Before drilling the wall, check that there are no pipes or electrical networks behind that could be damaged.
- Follow the recommendations on the distances indicated by the manufacturer between the outdoor and indoor units.
- Manage the authorized entities’ authorization to install the outdoor unit on the façade, walls, patios, or roofs in the case of common elements and consult the environmental protection or heritage protection standards if it is a building significant or valuable.
- Check that the outdoor unit is placed in a ventilated place, away from heat sources, and not exposed to excessive sunlight.
- Ensure compliance with the manufacturer’s technical instructions for the specific air conditioning model. To make the electrical connections, it is essential to check the fixing’s firmness with a local company and that it is adequate.
- Guarantee the proper conservation and maintenance of the equipment. Wash and check the filters every season and be attentive to electrical consumption and refrigerant charge.